Faculty of Health Sciences (University of Applied Sciences)
Study program Hospital Management (Master of Science)
Students of the Master's program in Hospital Management acquire comprehensive skills in the key fields of management in health care facilities. This includes the hospital management, medical care centers, or rehabilitation facilities, as well as counselling activities for advisors and consultants in the health sector, pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies, and health- and social authorities.
Career Aspiration: Management in Health Care Facilities
The Master's program in Hospital Management builds on current scientific findings, focuses on technical practice and leads to professional and scientific expertise. The qualification objectives therefore include technical and interdisciplinary aspects in the areas of scientific qualification, knowledge of economic and business know-how, combined with specialized and interdisciplinary knowledge of the health sector, as well as foundational medical content.
From medical ethics to medical and hospital law to communication psychology
This application-oriented course takes an interdisciplinary approach to health care and, apart from the economic modules, offers legal, ethical and social science modules. Students can derive goals and instruments of management leadership from the functions of the companies and classify them. They understand the management problems involved in healthcare facilities as configurable tasks and can classify, analyze and evaluate the financial, general and regulatory management conditions within the context of the market situation – in particular relation to hospitals.
- Course Contents and Structure
- Admission Requirements
- Career Prospects
Course Contents and Structure
The Master's program Hospital Management (M.Sc.) has a modular structure and is based on a total of 16 modules assigned to the following five fields of competence:
- General professional skills
- Inter-professional skills
- Advanced technical skills
- Practical application
- Scientific and methodological competence
The field of general professional skills teaches general economic and health-political skills.
The field of inter-professional skills includes the subjects of medical ethics, medical and hospital law, as well as communication psychology.
The area of advanced technical skills comprises practical content and hands-on skills in the areas of corporate development, personnel management, quality management, cost and revenue management, as well as digital hospital management and constructional planning, to enable graduates to act independently and efficiently in the mid- to upper management level of the health care industry.
As part of practical application, students gain comprehensive insight into the operational procedures in hospitals on the basis of their experience within a professional business simulation.
Scientific and methodological competence is acquired through the modules on research methods and data management in hospitals. The Master's program culminates with the preparation of the Master's thesis, including colloquium, enabling students to demonstrate their abilities in the field of scientific work.fileadmin/Daten/MSH/Fotos_Menuepunkt_Studium_Bewerbung/Moduluebersichten_201802/Moduluebersicht_KHM_Juli2018.png
What are the entry requirements for admission to the Master's program in Hospital Management?
- Entitlement to study for a Master's degree in accordance with §39 of the Hamburg University Act (HmbHG)
- A successfully-completed, relevant bachelor's degree in medicine, health, social or nursing care, as well as in a related area
- Basic medical knowledge is required, or must be acquired, for example, as a bridging course through the addition modules Medical I and II in the Medical Controlling and Management bachelor's program.
Please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to answer any question.
- Fully completed and signed admission application with curriculum vitae and two current passport photos (name on reverse)
- Certificate of the required previous education with average grade
- Copy of identity card (front and back), for international students identity-card
- If applicable, proof of activities conducted to date
- Proof of first degree
- Study book or degree certificate if the applicant has already studied at other universities
Studying at MSH Medical School Hamburg is numerus-clausus free. For us, performance, talent, motivation and discipline count more than the final grade point average on your high school diploma. Punctuality, good performance and commitment during your studies are of greater importance.
As a graduate of the Master's program and successful completion of your studies, you will have the basic, key qualifications that will enable you to immediately undertake work in the management of health care facilities, especially in hospital management.
Graduates find exciting fields of activity in hospitals:
- in operative and strategic medical controlling
- in financial and service controlling
- in project management
- in case management
- in quality management
- in the area of corporate development
- in management assistance
Further work for graduates can be found in other institutions of the health sector:
- Health insurance companies
- Consulting companies
- Large medical practices and health centers
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Manufacturers of medical products and devices
- Scientific institutes
- Professional associations
- Health-political associations
The Master's program in Hospital Management at the MSH offers scope for current topics and developments in the healthcare market and also offers graduates access to a scientific career in the field of health management.