Faculty of Health Sciences (University of Applied Sciences)
Study Program Speech Therapy (Bachelor of Science)
A vocational and Bachelor’s degree in only four years: The Bachelor's program in Speech Therapy is a parallel study course for vocational students of Speech Therapy. Parallel to your studies at a University of Applied Sciences, you will complete practical occupational training with a state-approved degree. After four years, you’ll have a dual degree in your pocket, which qualifies you for various levels of speech therapy and, if required, make it easier to also work abroad.
Whether you open your own practice, take on management tasks in a practical team, or embark on a scientific career - with the Speech Therapy (B.Sc.) degree at MSH, you are ideally prepared for your professional future. Our graduates can reflect their therapeutic knowledge scientifically and integrate the latest research results into the treatment process, and easily collaborate with other academically-qualified colleagues and partners.
Our courses are based on the latest scientific findings. Course work takes place in small learning groups and in close contact with the highly qualified, scientific teaching staff. A special focus is on the subjects of neuroscience and health psychology, offering a specialization for speech therapy students. Vocational training in speech therapy takes place with the support of a strong network with cooperation partners.
Advantages of the Bachelor's Program in Speech Therapy at the MSH
- Dual qualification through vocational model: state recognition (examination at the vocational school) and Bachelor of Science in only four years
- Advanced career opportunities and access to international Master's programs
- Development of fundamental, practical, methodological competencies through training and a scientific intensification through studies
- Specialization in the fields of neuroscience and health psychology
- Development of leadership and management expertise
- Course Content and Structure
- Admission Requirements
- Career Prospects
Course Content and Structure
Speech therapists are trained to correct and relieve speech and voice problems and hearing impairments. It is becoming increasingly important for speech therapists to be able to demonstrate interdisciplinary and scientific knowledge in their daily work. The Speech Therapy degree (B.Sc.) at the MSH is practice-oriented, while always keeping a sharp eye on the latest scientific findings and methods. In this way, our graduates are optimally prepared for their professional future.
A dual degree in four years
The Speech Therapy course (B.Sc.) begins at the same time as the actual training to become a speech therapist at the vocational school. The first six semesters run parallel to training. Scientific learning and practical occupational training go hand in hand. The 6th semester and degree of state-approved speech therapist is followed by two full-time semesters, at the end of which, graduates are equipped with the title Bachelor of Science and thus a dual degree.
The study program begins with theoretical aspects, such as scientific methods and legal parameters. Added to this, you will learn social skills and conversational techniques which ideally prepare you for patient counselling and team leadership. Not forgetting the foundations of business administration, which constitutes another valuable skill-set always looked for at clinics, private practices, training centers, or rehabilitation facilities.
Specialization in Neuro- and Health Sciences
Management, psychology, law and linguistics: It is impossible today to imagine speech therapy without such interdisciplinary knowledge. Thus, the MSH offers students interdisciplinary teaching, with special emphasis on the subjects of neuro- and health sciences. Students who have completed the speech therapy program (B.Sc.) at the MSH are not only equipped with sound practical and theoretical knowledge, but have also engaged with the subject with scientific intensity. The overview of current research findings thus acquired, helps recognize suitable diagnostic and therapeutic methods in everyday professional life and apply them individually for the patient’s wellbeing.
What are the entry requirements for admission to the Bachelor's degree in Speech Therapy?
Studying at MSH Medical School Hamburg is numerus-clausus free. For us, performance, talent, motivation and discipline count more than the final grade point average on your high school diploma. Punctuality, good performance and commitment during your studies are of greater importance.
Prerequisites for the study stage during training
- General higher, or subject-linked higher education entrance qualification, or technical university equivalent, in accordance with § 37 HmbHG (Higher Education Act)
- Existing contract with a vocational school for Speech Therapy
Requirements for the two-semester full-time study stage
- General higher or subject-linked higher education entrance qualification, or technical university equivalent, in accordance with § 37 HmbHG (Higher Education Act)
- Successfully completed vocational training as speech therapist
- State recognition of professional qualifications
- Professional license as speech therapist
- Successfully completed modules of the study section during training (proof of examination performance)
- Recognition of non-university modules and internships
The demand for academically qualified speech therapists in Germany is constantly rising. With a dual qualification as state-approved speech therapist and a Bachelor of Science in Speech Therapy, you will become a competent and sought-after candidate in this growing field. Your high, interdisciplinary competence, as well as your management expertise enable you to lead teams and qualify you as a decision-maker. With a Bachelor's degree, you also meet the requirements for employment in the international job market.
Areas of application
- Medical practices
- Healthcare institutions
- Sports clubs
- Rehabilitation centers
- Facilities for the disabled
- Training facilities
- Healthcare companies
- Municipal institutions
- Practical training
- Research and Teaching
In addition, Bachelor graduates have the opportunity of taking a further Master's program and pursuing an academic career. The MSH offers interesting programs, such as the Master's program in:
- Clinical Research (M.Sc.)
- Digital Health Management (M.Sc.)
- Exercise in Neurological Sciences (M.Sc.)
- Gesundheits- und Pflegepädagogik (M.A.)
We are here to inform you about further possibilities following your Bachelor's degree.
Additional information about speech therapy can be obtained from the Deutschen Bundesverband für Logopädie (dbl).